Are you doing everything you can to reduce your risk of cavities and gum disease? Even the smallest changes to your oral hygiene routine can make a significant impact on your oral health. Newberg, OR, family dentist Dr. Angela Toy of Arbor Hills Dental offers the services your family needs to keep their smiles strong and healthy.
How Can I Improve My Oral Hygiene?
Try one or more of these suggestions to enhance your usual oral hygiene routine:
- Make Consistency a Priority: You're more likely to leave a little plaque if you don't follow a consistent brushing method. Whether you begin brushing your molars first or start your brushing session with your front teeth, the order doesn't matter as long as you brush your teeth the same way every time. Flossing at the same time every day is also helpful. It's easy to forget about this oral hygiene task if it's not part of your usual hygiene routine.
- Wait to Brush: Don't brush your teeth for 30 minutes to an hour if you've just eaten an orange or other type of citrus fruit, sipped a glass of orange juice or lemonade, or downed a can of soda. Acids in these foods and beverages can soften your tooth enamel. If you brush too soon, you'll spread the acids around your mouth, increasing your cavity risk.
- Choose the Best Toothpaste and Mouthwash Options: Fluoride, a mineral added to most toothpastes, remineralizes weak areas of tooth enamel, which can help you avoid cavities and lower your risk of gum disease. You'll see the American Dental Association (ADA) seal on the box if your toothpaste contains fluoride. Mouthwash can also help you avoid cavities. Look for alcohol-free products that mention the words "anti-cavity" or "kills germs."
- Buy a Pack of Gum: Chewing sugar-free gum stimulates saliva, which helps wash away plaque.
- See the Dentist: Visiting your Newberg dentist every six months is an excellent way to protect your oral health. In addition to an examination, you'll also receive a dental cleaning that will remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and brighten your smile.
Regular dental visits are essential for good oral health. Call Newberg, OR, dentist Dr. Angela Toy of Arbor Hills Dental at (503) 538-2143 to schedule your appointment.